Monday 25 April 2011

Artefact 5 conundrum

I`ve had trouble deciding on what the fifth artefact should look like. First, I thought I would look at animation, on how a comedic content delivered not by a live performer but by animated characters influences the audiences` perception. More specifically, I wanted to see whether a comedian could get away with an outrageous view on a sensitive topic by dressing his argument up in the clothes of animation.

Initially, I looked for some examples. I found a few sketches from That Mitchell and Webb Look which were done using animation.


An sketch parodying a very modern day obsession called `interactivity`. In an unrelenting quest to find out what the viewers think, TV shows have become less and less reliant on delivering and uncovering facts, but have morphed into a narcissistic exercise for the masses. It`s all about what YOU think, and YOUR opinion is important to us (irrespective of whether it is an informed one or indeed, if it is relevant to anyone else except you).



Corporate ethics...rrrright! Improving our record day-by-day (disclaimer: not really!)

So, I decided to do a short animated sequence inspired by the following sketch:



Things to consider:
a) how to translate the message of the original sketch into an animated form (since the animation will not be an exact replica of the filmed version)
b) what does animation bring to the comedy table?
c) seeing that I won`t be able to record voice actors, how can animation compensate the lack of paraverbal cues?

No comments: